[Talk-GB] Multiple coincident boundary nodes. Data quality issue ?

Mike Parfitt m_parfitt at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 11 20:07:50 UTC 2017

If I put Drimnin in the centre of my tablet's screen in an area of 780m EW and 515m NS (landscape) the land/sea boundary is marked (not always accurately) by a number of coincident way/relation/multipolygon items all of which pass through 49 things that look like nodes.

There are actually 71 individual nodes (see caveat) of which :-
27 nodes are on all of the way/relation/multipolygon items
44 nodes are arranged in 22 coincident pairs, each on a subset of the way/relation/multipolygon items

At least one of the nodes in each coincident pair has a tag, but the 27 nodes that are on all of the way/relation/multipolygon items do not have any tags.

CAVEAT : I haven't checked every one of the 49 things that look like nodes, so it is possible that some may be composed of more than 2 coincident nodes.  Even if they are all just pairs of nodes, I don't know if the same subset of the way/relation/multipolygon items occurs throughout.

I am limited to contributing updates via an Android tablet - using Vespucci, as iD is unuseable on my touch screen.

I can easily move the 27 nodes that are on all of the way/relation/multipolygon items, but for the others, I have to select and move each of the coincident nodes individually - to the same location !

My opinion is that  :-

a) boundaries should have their properties defined at the way/relation/multipolygon level
b) individual nodes on such boundaries should not have any tags
c) coincident nodes on such boundaries should be combined into one

What does everyone else think ?
How should the right solution be implemented ?