[Talk-GB] Multiple coincident boundary nodes. Data quality issue ?

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Fri Aug 11 21:04:13 UTC 2017

Mike,

not sure I would call it a real data quality issue, but it "could be
better".

There are two coincident lines, which share some nodes but do not share
the majority of nodes, despite the fact they are coincident.

One line represents the boundary of Great Britain, and the admin
boundary of Highland.

The other line is the boundary of "Loch Sunart to the Sound of Jura
Marine Protected Area"

If the nodes are coincident by design, then they should be shared. If
they are only coincident by accident, then not. In this case it is
likely (but I don't know for sure) that the MPA boundary is effectively
defined in this area as "the boundary of Highland Council" so the nodes
could/should be shared.

Nodes contained in a way do not normally have, or need, tags. However,
where a point feature occurs in the course of a way, then the "by
accident/by design" distinction applies again. A pedestrian crossing is
often a node in a highway: this is "by design" because the position of
the crossing is irrevocably linked to the position of the highway. But
sometimes nodes for things like monuments could be added without having
zoomed in properly, with the editor choosing to re-use an existing node
instead of creating a new one. So my reaction to your statements b and c
is "it depends".

//colin