[Talk-GB] [Osmf-talk] Live OSM discussion in ~45 minutes (7.30pm UK time)

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Thu Jul 27 11:41:27 UTC 2017

Am 27.07.2017 um 12:02 schrieb Ilya Zverev:
> I do not have numbers for how many people in OSM are interested in which facilities. If I had, that would be a great research subject, or at least a topic for an interesting SotM presentation.
>
> This sub-thread, of course, is an extra illustration to the issues in our community. Only numbers matter, samples are good only if they represent the bias in our community, no issues here, move along.
Well I would simply rather work on addressing real issues than spending
time on invented ones. That kind of implies that you need facts, not
fairy tales.

Low gender diversity among OSM contributors is reasonably well
established, if it actually biases what is and how it is mapped, is not
(that for example would be a good research topic).

And yes it is undoubtedly true that having a childcare preset in JOSM
(as the only editor with larger use without one) would be nice, but that
is the decision of a single developer not a bias of the whole community
(naturally most JOSM users are capable of typing the tag in without a
preset in any case). The delineation issues are naturally not resolved
by having a preset, that is however a problem of the subject matter, not
a question of lack of interest.

Simon