[Talk-GB] Names of Police Authority areas

SK53 sk53.osm at gmail.com
Wed May 17 11:26:07 UTC 2017

The boundaries of several police authorities have been mapped in SE
England. The all have the following tagging form:

operator=XXXX Police
name=XXXXX

where name can be the name of an administrative unit or is Thames Valley or
Metropolitan Police.

When searching for places in Kent this usage produces odd results.
Similarly I would expect something called Thames Valley to be that rather
than the police force.

Can I suggest that the name tag includes "Police" as most websites of the
respective constabularies do.

I realise that this is different to the approach for actual administrative
units, but in these cases the name without "XXX Council" is widely used and
understood.

Jerry

PS. I would also note that boundary=police is not wholly satisfactory as
police forces have subdivisions. Perhaps police_authority would be better.