[Talk-GB] Removal of redundant NaPTAN data

SK53 sk53.osm at gmail.com
Thu Apr 4 15:17:08 UTC 2019

Like Andy I can find these useful, particularly as the ones on local PTE
websites are very difficult to interpret. However, they suffer from the
deficiencies of being a) unmaintained on OSM; b) not necessarily reflecting
multiple bus pass zones; c) being fairly crude hulls of bus stops in the
zone.

I quickly made this comparison
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/File:Ng_payscalearea.png> between the
NAPTAN pay_scale_area (plusbuszone) for Nottingham (orange) and two concave
hulls calculated with different parameters in QGIS (cyan (0.2) and blue
(0.15)). All Naptan stops have a field imported into OSM as
naptan:PlusbusZoneRef, that for Nottingham being NTNG which is what I used
to identify bus stops for calculating the area.

Thus providing information is held on bus stops or (tram & train stops) for
a given transport zone  these zones can be derived from other data in OSM,
and indeed can be derived in such as way as to be more informative (e.g.
excluding sea for coastal towns). It may be worth discussing other ways to
store information about bus pass zones.

Jerry