[Talk-GB] Gates open/closed by default

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Fri Jul 26 10:58:28 UTC 2019

To bring a little international perspective to this.

In outback Australia the convention is "leave the gate as you found it".
Unfortunately there are some who don't.
To cope with this problem some gates are hung so that they close under
gravity.
To keep these open the farmer locks the gate open. Few people stop and
try to close the gate, and are defeated by the lock anyway.

So indicating that a gate is locked .. says little as to if it is open
or closed to me.

I think the 2 conditions need to be separated and not assumed;

locked = yes/no

closed = yes/no
Not certain how to handle automatic - I think they are mostly
automatically closing only, some do both closing and opening and there
is the possibility of automatically opening only. Err some may have
automatic lock features too...

In addition some gates are fastened, but can be manually opened if you
figure out the mechanism (some are quite inventive!). A problem I have
found is on re-fastening these inventive mechanisms .. can take some
time to remember it or reinvent it. Perhaps these should be called
'locked' and the above 'key_locked'???