[Talk-GB] Gates open/closed by default

Silent Spike silentspike100 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 26 12:43:24 UTC 2019

On Fri, Jul 26, 2019 at 1:15 PM Martin Wynne <martin at templot.com> wrote:

> The tag is *barrier*=gate.
>
> A permanently open gate isn't a barrier, so I don't think it should be
> tagged as such. At least not across a way.

It's a common mistake to interpret keys to match their corresponding word
definitions. The gate exists and physically could be closed, therefore
should be mapped as a normal gate.

I've encountered one situation like this in the past which I decided to tag
as `permissive` at the time (https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/1823375898).
My logic is that (while this is a privately owned gate) the owner of the
gate has decided to leave it open for traffic to pass through the gate,
therefore access through the gate is permissive, but could be taken away
(therefore it would be false to tag it in a way that suggests access will
always be available). Note that I also tagged vehicle access as private,
because this is a gate which always seems to be half closed - but access
could physically be granted for vehicles if needed.

I think the key is to tag the gate's access separate from the way's access
(as Stephen suggests) because they are different things.