[Talk-GB] Import UK postcode data?

Dan S danstowell+osm at gmail.com
Fri Oct 4 13:14:37 UTC 2019

Op vr 4 okt. 2019 om 14:07 schreef Russ Garrett <russ at garrett.co.uk>:

> On Fri, 4 Oct 2019 at 13:59, David Woolley <forums at david-woolley.me.uk> wrote:
> > Although I don't have a primary source for this, my understanding is
> > that the median is snapped to the nearest actual delivery point within
> > the postcode.
>
> I was also under the impression that they were mathematical centroids
> of the postcode area but the user guide [1] indeed says: "The point is
> given the coordinates of the nearest delivery point to the calculated
> mean position of the delivery points within the postcode unit."
> (Although this may not be true for all entries - the PQI will provide
> that info.)

FWIW the technical term is "medoid"... though I guess throwing new
technical terms in is not my best contribution...

> So I guess it would technically be possible to use Code-Point Open to
> add at least one address location to OSM for most postcodes. I'm still
> uneasy about doing this automatically though.

I've long been frustrated by the uselessness of most OSM-based
services wrt UK postcodes, and I agree with the argument that postcode
medoids are not very different from many of the other "abstract-ish"
things we have deliberately tagged in OSM
 - so, for me, I would support some kind of perhaps semi-automatic
import process.

Best
Dan