[Talk-GB] Bridleway across field

Robert Whittaker (OSM lists) robert.whittaker+osm at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 14:54:59 UTC 2020

On Tue, 8 Dec 2020 at 13:18, Dave F via Talk-GB
<talk-gb at openstreetmap.org> wrote:

> https://snipboard.io/scrm5R.jpg
>
> There you go, free of any supposed copyright infringement.

Not quite. Before we're able to use any third-party data in OSM, we
need to verify that it is available under a suitable licence. So you
would still need to get permission from Wiltshire Council to use that
data, and ensure that any required attribution statements or
disclaimers are correctly recorded at
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Contributors#Public_Rights_of_Way_Data_from_local_councils
.

If you trust the author of Rowmaps, you could make use of the
Wiltshire data that's available from
https://www.rowmaps.com/datasets/WT/ (which claims to be re-usable
under the OGL v3) once the appropriate attribution statement is added
to the OSM Contributors page linked above. However the precise
attribution statement required isn't clear, and the copyright text in
the files on rowmaps conflicts with the statement that it's available
under the OGL v3. (If the text in the files is correct, then they're
incompatible with OSM use, due to the additional sub-licensing
requirement.)

So I think we'd be better to wait for a successful outcome at
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/public_rights_of_way_gis_data_9
before using the Wiltshire data. Many other councils have made their
data available under terms we can use in OSM, as you can see from
https://osm.mathmos.net/prow/open-data/ .

Robert.

--
Robert Whittaker