[Talk-GB] driveway-becomes-track

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 12 13:15:02 UTC 2020

On 12/12/2020 12:34, Martin Wynne wrote:
> A common situation is that a service road/driveway continues as a
> track beyond the initial residential destination. This is common on
> farms.
>
> On the standard map at zoom level 15, driveways are not shown. But
> tracks and footpaths are. This seems counter-intuitive in that
> driveways are usually wider and more substantially surfaced than farm
> tracks.
>
> The result is that a track, and sometimes a footpath, appears to start
> in the middle of nowhere.
>
> An example of that is at:
>
>  https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=15/52.2816/-2.4320
>
> What is the process for getting something done about this?

It's only a problem with one particular map rendering (other maps such
as https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=13/52.2892/-2.4360&layers=C look
sensible), so you'd need to raise that with that map rendering.  In the
case of the map that you are talking about, that would be
https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto .  If you look
through the issues list there you'll see that this problem has been
discussed before, and (for the reasons that ipswichmapper has already
mentioned, it hasn't been fixed because it's a hard problem to solve.

Once a problem has been reported and is already known about (as is the
case here) someone would need to figure out a way to solve the problem.
There are a few possibilities:  One is to "only suppress urban driveways
not rural ones", which would require that somehow the map can tell
whether a location is "urban" or "rural".  Another might be to "not
suppress driveways that have other tags".  In your case
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/661519636 has foot, horse and bicycle
tags that could potentially help here.  Any technical solution would
still need to convince the volunteers that maintain this map style that
the change is a "good idea", and would not cause more serious knock-on
problems elsewhere.

Ultimately, if "something needs doing", "someone" will need to do it.
Perhaps that someone is you?  I'd suggest setting up a copy of the
standard map rendering as per https://switch2osm.org/serving-tiles/
(just for Worcestershire would be fine) and start tinkering with the
logic that decides what sort of service road is what, such as
https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/blob/b10aef3866bacf387581b8fea4eec265010b0d14/project.mml#L475
.

If you think "that someone is really _not_ me" then you can still use
another map, and can make sure that all appropriate tags are added to
things so that other maps can use them.  I certainly owe some thanks to
that area's mappers as
https://map.atownsend.org.uk/maps/map/map.html#zoom=16&lat=52.28208&lon=-2.42987
(which shows designations and PRoW refs) is all filled in there.

Best Regards,

Andy