[Talk-GB] driveway-becomes-track

Peter Neale nealepb at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Dec 13 10:44:24 UTC 2020

IMHO, if it leads on to another road, track, etc. it is not a "driveway", but could be a track, a bridleway, a service road, or something else.
The Wiki says that a driveway is (with my bold for emphasis),
" ... a minor service road leading to a residential or business property. It typically branches from a bigger road and leads toward an entrance to a specific destination (building, etc.). It may end at or pass the entrance, but either way, it gets close to its destination. It is rare for a driveway to be the way to access another roadway (but see Pipestems below)."
(pipestems allow a driveway to be shared between several properties)
So if, in this case, it leads on to another way (e.g. a bridleway, or a track), it is not a driveway.  Does this solve the problem?
Regards,Peter
 Peter Neale
t: 01908 309666
m: 07968 341930
skype: nealepb

    On Sunday, 13 December 2020, 10:25:46 GMT, Edward Bainton <bainton.ete at gmail.com> wrote:

 Sorry, I joined this thread late and I see the initial query was, How to ensure tracks don't just pop up nowhere'. So driveway first then track doesn't solve the problem.
That makes me say track all the way, as someone else has said. The different surfaces can be caught in the attributes.
On Sun, 13 Dec 2020 at 10:08, Edward Bainton <bainton.ete at gmail.com> wrote:

>  https://85a.uk/noverton_farm_1280x800.jpg
>
> It seems daft to me that the mud gets rendered but not the hardcore. If
> I change the "driveway" to "track" that would be the dreaded tagging for
> the renderer would it not? Generally in this part of the world "track"
> means mud, rather than a roadway suitable for all vehicles.

I don't know what part of the world you're in, but by my Fenland lights, I'd probably call that a track, not a driveway - certainly once it passes the farm buildings (since I see a driveway as implying car-worthy access to a building).
Would that solve it? Driveway as far as the farm and then track?
I'm going to risk blasphemy and suggest that tagging for the renderer is what we all do, all day (or why map?). The problem imo is "fudging it for the renderer", or "outright lying for the renderer". In this case, I'd say track is a valid choice - I think even for the whole length, if by "driveway" we infer something, short, tidy, and suburban.
But I'm still a spring chicken round here, relatively speaking, and I await correction by my olders.
On Sun, 13 Dec 2020 at 09:09, Nick Whitelegg via Talk-GB <talk-gb at openstreetmap.org> wrote:

>Getting back to this case, this is the farm drive. Beyond the
>cattle-grid the public bridleway continues left through the farm
>buildings, and the surface deteriorates to the usual farm mud:

  >https://85a.uk/noverton_farm_1280x800.jpg

Apologies for going off topic, but I knew that name (Noverton Farm) sounded familiar.
A quick check of where it is would explain why. In 1998 I did a  long distance walk from Sussex to the Peak District, following ordinary footpaths (planned using OS maps) and went through this area, the Teme Valley. It was very nicebut​ the footpaths were in an appaling state of disrepair, I remember on several occasions that day having to scramble through dense shrub cover and attempt to negotiate barbed-wire fences. I seem to recall Noverton Farm as being the site of some particularly badly-maintained footpaths.
As an aside this walk is what indirectly got me into OSM. I wanted to illustrate the walk on the internet but OS licensing did not permit it, which is how I started Freemap and then later got involved with OSM. I still haven't illustrated this walk incidentally, but...
Would be interested to find out if the area has improved since..
Nick