[Talk-GB] UK street addressing

Chris Hill osm at raggedred.net
Sun Dec 20 16:16:06 UTC 2020

On 20/12/2020 14:57, Colin Smale wrote:

> On 2020-12-20 15:41, Chris Hill wrote:
>
>> Addresses in OSM are not the same as Royal Mail's addresses. RM
>> addresses are all about their processes for delivering post to
>> delivery points. The postal town (Largertown in your example) is a
>> convenience for RM that we have all been persuaded is useful, but RM
>> have ceased to use postal towns for many years!
> Are you not thinking of Postal Counties? They were indeed deprecated
> many years ago (1996), but the Post Town is AFAIK a mandatory
> component of a postal address, and Wikipedia agrees:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post_town
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post_town>

No, Counties are still useful. The only reason RM no longer uses
counties is that they depend on postcodes and street addresses to
deliver. We are not confined to delivering using RM's infrastructure.
Near to York there is a village called Dunnington, near to Hull there is
another small village called Dunnington. Without postcodes the county is
vital to reach the right place.

Long after RM say they no longer used counties, their PAF list, used
across Britain to find addresses in the absence of a proper, Open
address database,still has counties in it. People still quote my address
as being in North Humberside. North Humberside never existed, Humberside
was abolished in 1996! SO it is with postal towns, RM no longer use them
but they still appear in their PAF and so get perpetuated in general
use, even though they are useless and misleading.

Royal mail do not use postal towns and neither should OSM.

> --

cheers
Chris Hill (chillly)