[Talk-GB] Google maps added addresses!

Michael Collinson mike at ayeltd.biz
Tue Dec 29 10:25:27 UTC 2020

+++1 to mapping addresses as standalone nodes!

While it is an alternative accepted style to put them on buildings, I
personally loathe it. A building is a building, an address is an
address. A one-to-one relation is common but not 100%. The address may
not even be logically applicable to a building, examples: schools (a
cluster of buildings on a site), recreation grounds (perhaps no building
at all).

Dividing a building vertically for the purpose of address in messy. Yes,
there is some logic to the concept of separate living/working volumes
but then that should apply to horizontal division as will, common in
some parts of the world. For me, a semi-detached house is a
semi-detached house and a terrace is a terrace.

And the worst thing, and my main motivation for writing, is that is
destroys simple 3-D modelling,
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Simple_3D_buildings . A
semi-detached house with a hipped roof becomes impossible to model if
two conjoined buildings or even building parts as far as I can see (?).

I suggest always modelling addresses as separate nodes placed in a
logical place for navigation.

A jolly Christmas rant brought to you by Mike. Best wishes to all.