[Talk-GB] MapThePaths - now with way-splitting functionality

Nick Whitelegg nick.whitelegg at solent.ac.uk
Mon Jan 20 15:30:16 UTC 2020

Hello everyone,

Would like to announce an update to MapThePaths (mapthepaths.org.uk) - a site which allows OSM contributors to compare council rights of way data with the RoW data in OSM, and in doing so, allows users to discover which paths need designation tags or even need mapping from scratch.

Since it was launched MapThePaths has allowed users to add designation and prow_ref tags to paths. However it now allows contributors to split existing ways - this is particularly useful as there are many cases where an OSM way covers both right-of-way and non-right-of-way segments.

To access the editing functionality, log into OSM via MapThePaths and zoom in, and activate 'Edit' mode.

To split a way, highlight it (by clicking on it) and then click on the node where you want to split it.

To add a node to a way (which may be necessary if there is currently no node at the desired split point), highlight a way, select the 'add node' mode (top right of screen) and then click on the highlighted way.

This functionality has actually been live for a week or so but originally there were a number of bugs. These are now, I believe, fixed.

Please let me know any desired improvements, or any bugs. If you encounter a bug please give me the precise location (lat, lon, OSM way ID) and what actions you took, so I can try to replicate it.

Thanks,
Nick