[Talk-GB] Surveying rural buildings

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Wed Jul 22 12:20:00 UTC 2020

Jul 20, 2020, 12:29 by nick at foresters.org:

> Dear all
>
> I have been mapping a few properties using Bing maps with local knowledge supplemented by some physical measuring (tape measure or simply pacing). I now want to ramp up my mapping but the challenge especially in rural areas is that sometimes the outline of a building is not clear - either obscured (e.g. trees) or unclear (e.g. decking or car ports). Also some aerial imagery is offset. Also, most of the properties are not along public roads. So my question is what are the preferred methods for surveying that others are using?

Nobody replied so far so...

I am not worried too much about geometry offset, especially in rural areas where
moving building to fix offset is usually not problematic.

> Supplementary question, do you include or exclude conservatories, car ports etc. from the main structure of the property?

It depends. I usually include them in case of armchair mapping of aerial images (unless there is
a visible gap). In mapping during survey it depends whatever car port is part of a building structure
or a separate structure standing next to house.

> I guess at the back of my mind is what do people perceive as the purpose of mapping (hope I have not opened a can of worms).

In my case I map what is useful for projects that I use/like or is very simple to map
(=available as StreetComplete quest).

So right now I map parking lanes for https://github.com/dabreegster/abstreet
and in rural areas I tend to map hiking routes rather than buildings.