[Talk-GB] Surveying rural buildings

Andy G Wood agw at bas.ac.uk
Fri Jul 24 14:04:54 UTC 2020

On Friday, 24 July 2020 14:41:08 BST Mark Goodge wrote:
> On 24/07/2020 13:20, Martin Wynne wrote:
> >   > but most people I know aren't aware of OSM.
> >
> > I've been trying to persuade country-walking groups to use OSM. There is
> > a lot of useful stuff there not shown on OS Explorer -- stiles, kissing
> > gates, benches, bus stops, all pubs, cafes, etc. It's a lot more
> > up-to-date, and if they find anything missing they can add it themselves
> > for the benefit of others.
> >
> > Most of them go back to OS Explorer when they find UK public rights of
> > way are not shown in different colours on the OSM standard map.
>
> Yes; this is an issue specifically for map users on foot. With roads,
> the question of legality is much less of an issue - almost all roads of
> any significance are public highways, and those that are not are usually
> clearly marked as such. But with footpaths and farm tracks in open
> countryside, there is often no obvious visual distinction, and yet the
> legality is a critical factor to users. This is an area in which OS maps
> are much more useful to walkers.

Not convinced that this is a significant web rendering issue.  For me, saving
battery by not being on-line all the time is a major driver when hiking.
Swapping to OsmAnd gives all the benefits of OSM maps and many path/footpath
rendering options.

Andy.

This email and any attachments are intended solely for the use of the named recipients. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, copy or distribute this email or any of its attachments and should notify the sender immediately and delete this email from your system. UK Research and Innovation (UKRI) has taken every reasonable precaution to minimise risk of this email or any attachments containing viruses or malware but the recipient should carry out its own virus and malware checks before opening the attachments. UKRI does not accept any liability for any losses or damages which the recipient may sustain due to presence of any viruses. Opinions, conclusions or other information in this message and attachments that are not related directly to UKRI business are solely those of the author and do not represent the views of UKRI.