[Talk-GB] Using OSM as a base for my own fictional map?

Martin Wynne martin at templot.com
Fri Jul 24 22:54:59 UTC 2020

On 24/07/2020 23:18, Mateusz Konieczny via Talk-GB wrote:

> "OpenStreetMap data is free for everyone to use. Our tile servers are not."
> See https://operations.osmfoundation.org/policies/tiles/ for more
> "In particular, downloading an area of over 250 tiles at zoom level 13
> or higher for offline or later usage is forbidden."
> is the most limiting part

Thanks Mateusz. However, I would not be using any OSM tiles at all. I
would be using this PDF download function instead:

  https://85a.uk/osm_pdf_download.png

and once only for any given map area.

> Though I suspect that rendering map (raster tiles with Mapnik, client-side rendered vector tiles,
> rendering on client side from raw OSM data etc) will be better than fetching raster tiles and modifying
> them

I agree that modifying a raster image, whether from a tile or any other,
would give very poor results, especially when zoomed in. But I'm not
planning to fetch or modify any raster tiles.

The downloaded PDF files are vector files which can be zoomed to any
level without pixelating, and can have the internal records modified as
required.

cheers,

Martin.