[Talk-GB] worrying edit to junction (now reverted)

Ken Kilfedder spiregrain_osm at ksglp.org.uk
Wed Jan 20 08:29:09 UTC 2021

I write for advice on couple of related, very annoying edits that happened in my area yesterday.  One of the two users responded to a changeset message, and reverted the change.

I suspect they were involved in doing mass or part-automated edits for Facebook.   The two offending changes are:
 * https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/97788019  / https://osmcha.org/changesets/97788019/
   * (Remodelled a T-junction back to the roundabout it was 2 years ago - complete with entry lanes etc. a very nice job)
 * https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/97789682 / https://osmcha.org/changesets/97789682/
   * (Patched up the resulting gaps in route relations, etc)

Like I say, the users have at least put everything back, and have engaged in conversation on the subject.   So it's not a matter for DWG.

But my concern is that one of them has around 1000 edits to his name; and that the two user names *imply* dozens (hundreds?) of others a blundering about replacing accurate in-person mapping with nice-looking but incorrect data from who-knows-what sources?

Is anyone keeping a log of similar incidents from FB mappers and/or our other corporate benefactors?

Am I making a mountain out of a molehill?  Happy to wind my neck in, if so.

---
https://hdyc.neis-one.org/?spiregrain
spiregrain_osm at ksglp.org.uk