[Talk-GB] difference between bicycle and MTB cycle routes

Chris Hodges chris at c-hodges.co.uk
Wed Jun 16 15:06:35 UTC 2021

There's a lot of debate in one of my clubs about what the Sustrans
routes are actually for, as many aren't suitable for practical active
travel (preferring a long muddy off-road route to a short one on
reasonable roads) while others are of limited use to serious road
cyclists (too rough) or leisure/family cycling (too far from anywhere
much). Of course they shouldn't get all the blame; they're often at the
mercy of local authorities

That doesn't help much with mapping of course.  Unfortunately neither
does the rate of degradation of many unpaved routes, whether seasonal or
permanent.  I see a middle ground between your two, or perhaps a split
of the "off-road route": somewhere you could happily take the kids on
hybrids in summer (when most casual riding takes place), but that turns
into a mudbath for an MTB in the winter (when only hardy riders are
out).  Mapping that to serve both user groups may actually be
impossible, or require more detail than can reasonably be recorded and
presented

As far as some bikes having difficulty, it's also the rider.  I have
friends who are willing to ride stretches of pretty rough tracks on 25mm
tyres and fixed gears (e.g. the byways around Stonehenge last weekend),
while others complain about much easier gravel on slightly bigger
tyres;  my own ability to deal with rough stuff on the tourer improves
the more mountain biking I do.