[Talk-ht] PAHO Medical Facilities

Kate Chapman kate at maploser.com
Wed Feb 3 07:07:30 GMT 2010

Hi All,

I converted the PAHO medical facilities data into OSM format.
http://github.com/wonderchook/PAHO_to_OSM.  I also included the rules
file.  If anyone needs files in another format or anything let me
know.

I chunked it up into 26 files so people could work on it.  The tags
associated with each facility are ones that are important to WHO/PAHO.
 We want to make sure we include data that is going to be important to
these organizations.  They are willing to contribute data back to us
from the ground, but we need to include information that relates to
humanitarian efforts.  In my experience working with this data there
have been many circumstances where the OSM positional accuracy is
better, something to keep in mind when resolving the discrepancies
between the two datasets.

The most important information is the health_facility:paho_id that is
the universal ID for medical facilities in Haiti and will allow OSM
data to interact more easily with other systems.

This is our first attempt at using the Humanitarian OSM tags in the
wild: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Humanitarian_OSM_Tags

We made every attempt to continue to use already existing tags.  The
wiki might need to be cleaned up a bit to match what is in the .osm
files.

To summarize:

1. We want OSM to be the source of this type of data
2. In order to be the source we need to include info of importance to NGOs
3. Yes the Humanitarian Tags are a draft but we need to start somewhere.
4. If there is something drastically wrong let me know and we'll
figure out how to fix it.

I saw emails flying by regarding workflow I'm not sure the best way to
figure out who is working on what.

Thanks for all your assistance and hardwork.

Kate Chapman
User:wonderchook