[Talk-ht] [CrisisMappers] Tropical storm (Haiti) & Typhoon (Taiwan)

Jaakko Helleranta.com jaakko at helleranta.com
Jeu 23 Aou 17:59:34 BST 2012

Good to hear that there's a crowdmap up and running for Isaac / Haiti.
(Added HOT at osm to the list.)

I am in the country (have been here about two years) and have started to
prepare to the storm with fellow-HOTties. As of now we are doing standard
HOT preparations (locating equipment, mappers, checking up with local
actors, continuing with checking OSM data (after the license change bot),
etc). I have a team of local mappers who are helping out to ensure that we
have the capacity to respond as needed.

The government has raised the alert level to red (the highest level).

It seems that while we may well get a major amount of water and possibly
hurricane class winds and there's a possibility for heavy damage (rain of
possibly 20-30 cm) it's also quite possible that the wind speeds may not
pick up to total destruction levels.
The humanitarian threat is real nevertheless to major with some 400,000
people still in camps and a possible trajectory of the center of the storm
that might cross right over this area..

Any other people in Haiti or working with / doing things related to the
storm on these lists?

Links to the storm info:
* Overview of things + links: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/cyclones/
* Tropical Storm Force Wind Speed Probabilities (5 days):
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at4+shtml/060337.shtml?tswind120?large#contents
* Coastal Watches/Warnings and 5-Day Forecast Cone for Storm Center:
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at4+shtml/115735.shtml?5day?large#contents

This just in:
http://hot.openstreetmap.org/updates/2012-08-23_hurricane_isaac_getting_to_haiti

Now off to personal preparations for the storm...

Regards from Haiti,
-Jaakko
http://osm.org/user/jaakkoh

--