[OSM-talk-ie] Can Townlands be split for Civil parishes and barony boundries?

Brian Hollinshead brian at hollinshead.net
Wed Dec 14 20:12:48 UTC 2016

Lugaphuill:
The two townlands in separate Civil Parishes were combined into one by the
Boundary Surveyor.
A study of the valuation books this morning shows them as separate in 1856,
1883, 1914 and 1922 but combined in 1935.

A closer inspection of the annotations in the books show the effective date
was 1927.

I strongly believe that townlands which enjoyed a separate but adjoining
existence for seventy years should be shown on OSM as such as there are a
wealth of records referring to each part. Similarly where we find townlands
which have been absorbed into city or town limits, that they should also be
added to OSM for record purposes.

I have therefore drawn the two original parts into OSM as Lugaphuill (Drum)
and Lugaphuill (Ballyhean) AND left the combined one there until those who
decide, decide which is preferable. I have added a note to all three as
below

"Lugaphuill (Drum) and Lugaphuill (Ballyhean) combined by Boundary Surveyor
in 1927, as per Valuation Office books."