[Talk-in] Border state | districts

Harshad RJ harshad.rj at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 02:05:58 GMT 2009

On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 7:16 AM, H.S.Rai <hardeep.rai at gmail.com> wrote:

> On OSMI, Ludhiana's border is not complete, while on OSM it is.
>
> http://openstreetmap.org.in/
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?zoom=9&lat=30.76979&lon=75.90818
>
> Is there single overlapped line for border between two states, or it
> is one line shared by two states?

> Do we have different state as well as district boundaries?
>

>From my experience with district boundaries, I would say state & district
boundaries should not be separate, as it avoids redundancy. Benefits:

   1. If a user modifies one, the other automatically updates and hence is
   always accurate and in sync
   2. saves resources on the server (the number of nodes can be quite huge
   when the boundary becomes detailed over time)
   3. boundaries can be better rendered by the server if it knows they
   overlap. If they were made of completely different nodes, it takes more
   computing resources to determine if they are adjacent.

Same thing applies to overlaps between state boundaries.

--
Harshad RJ
http://hrj.wikidot.com