[Talk-in] veg and non-veg

Kenneth Gonsalves lawgon at au-kbc.org
Wed Oct 21 09:20:00 BST 2009

On Wednesday 21 Oct 2009 1:42:35 pm Guillaume Audirac wrote:
> > veg=yes/no
> > nonveg=yes/no
> >
> > so that this can cover hotels that server both veg and non-veg.
>
> Personally, I find more appropriate to use the existing tags:
> amenity = restaurant, combined with:
> cuisine = vegetarian
> or
> cuisine = non-vegetarian

I do not agree. This is more fundamental than cuisine in the indian context.
Cuisine could be north indian, continental, chinese, american or what have
you. The first point for determination of where to eat is veg/non-veg, as far
as India is concerned. This is evidenced by the government making it mandatory
to specify this by red/green circles on all food. For example take chinese
cuisine (not that chinese in India remotely resembles chinese cuisine), this
is divided again into veg/non-veg. As pointed out this applies also to burger
and pizza joints. So a map catering to indian tastes would make this the prime
designator for restaurants.

Senior Project Officer