[Talk-in] classification for rural roads

I Chengappa imchengappa at gmail.com
Sat Mar 28 15:13:57 UTC 2015

If the roads you are mapping connect two villages / local population
centres, then it should be sufficient to tag them as tertiary roads, (with
the lane number information if you have it). That usage reflects the
original meaning outside OSM of 'tertiary road', (similarly secondary roads
connected towns, primary roads connected cities -  a quite simplistic
classification, but useful to bear in mind). Note that in the primary
definitions there is no requirement that these be asphalted, metalled or
anything else - this also is in agreement with the underlying meaning of
the terms  'road' and 'highway'. They are defined primarily by their
traffic and usage.

For the first two options you mention, I see these problems -
- a  country lane or any other road that does not serve residential houses
is not a residential road, pretty much by definition.
- any road that requires drivers to pull over on to their shoulders to pass
each other is not a two lane road, again almost by definition.

I agree that there is a significant problem with the attempt to create a
distinct road classification for India - yes that wiki page is still a list
of suggestions mixed with opinions and discussions. I think that when you
find it does not make sense for any particular situation, the best solution
is to fall back on the basic and underlying OSM definitions e.g. at
highway=residential
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dresidential>. These
definitions will return anyway, because they reflect both wider OSM
practice, and often normal English usage, hence many contributors will keep
using them.

Thanks, user indigomc