[Talk-in] Tagging guidelines for buildings

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 03:49:11 UTC 2021

On 21/1/21 2:05 pm, S Garade via Talk-in wrote:
> Namaskar / Hello !
>
> I am beginner to OSM and have recently started tagging places in my
> locality.

Welcome!

> I have a question regarding tagging of buildings (or any generic man
> made structure such as park, land use etc.).
> I went through the guidelines at below link but couldn’t find anything
> relevant to my query.
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/India#Tagging_guidelines
>
> In some places I have seen building shapes (area) being directly
> tagged with the building name and amenities etc.
> While on the other hand I have also seen separate standalone nodes
> added in front of buildings shapes, and the tags of the building name
> being given to those nodes.
>
> - Which of these is a better practice? And why?

More detailed is better.. as it has more information.

So a separate node of area for the toilets is better than a tag on the
building as it indicates where in the building the toilets are.

> - In such cases, is there any standard or recommended way for tagging?

If you have the time then map as much detail as you can. Most mappers
have realized that there is a lot to do, so there are compromises
between the time available to survey, map edit and enjoy.

Good Luck.