[Talk-it] Should StreetComplete stop adding addresses in Italy?

Tobias Zwick osm a westnordost.de
Ven 13 Lug 2018 21:03:43 UTC

Hmm, I was hoping for a more definite answer than what I got from this
thread so far. I will give you some more input.

Regarding the ideas expressed so far:
Adding a node within the building with the housenumber is not possible,
because StreetComplete can only change the tags of an element, neither
add, delete or change the geometry of elements - but it doesn't matter
really if there is a node with an address within the building with a
fixme-tag or the address is just on the building: It requires cleanup to
conform to the Italian address guidelines in either case.
Also, a detection whether a housenumber is "nearby" specifically for
Italy is also something I will not do, because such a detection would be
too fuzzy to be reliable. But it needs to be reliable.
Finally, regarding the idea to let StreetComplete ask for the addresses
on gates and entrances instead of buildings in Italy, that would create
lots of false-positives (not every gate or entrance has an address). I
think if the building is already mapped in such a detail that the
entrances are also mapped, someone must have been there to survey it and
then he will have also specified the housenumber (if that entrance has one).

To summarize, I see no chance how StreetComplete, or for that matter,
any automatic algorithm, would be able to automatically determine where
and which housenumbers are missing on the map, when housenumbers are
mapped on plot boundaries instead of always on, in or at the entrances
of buildings.

---

Certainly, StreetComplete can be very useful in filling the white spots
regarding addresses in Italy, and it is true that as OSM is a
collaborative project, other mappers can later separate the address from
the building outline and put it on the entrance(s) to make it conform to
the guidelines. Also, most (inner-)town buildings will have their
address on the entrances and many buildings just have one entrance, so
there is no problem.
However, you also have to consider that StreetComplete will definitely
be a disruption in areas where the address is commonly (mapped) at the
gates leading to the properties (=outside the building outline). In
these areas, the buildings may be spammed with either duplicate
housenumbers or noaddress=yes tags. Worse still, if you clean up the
duplicated nodes after a StreetComplete user added them, they may appear
again later, when another user adds them again, and so on.

So, you have to weigh the these up against each other and decide.

Anyway, thank you for the praise :-)

Tobias