[Talk-ko] South Korea top-level admin boundary creation complete

Wesley Woo-Duk Hwang-Chung wesley96 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 09:49:39 BST 2012

The boundaries use relations, of course. :) That's why the Japanese
tampering incident I mentioned previously had such a big effect.

The admin boundary proposal I added in OSM's Wiki several months ago (look
under South Korea) is based on the administrative division system as
outlined in Wikipedia here:
http://ko.wikipedia.org/wiki/%EB%8C%80%ED%95%9C%EB%AF%BC%EA%B5%AD%EC%9D%98_%ED%96%89%EC%A0%95_%EA%B5%AC%EC%97%AD
The English version of the article doesn't have the same table that I'm
referencing, BTW.

Basically, your proposal is nearly identical to mine, except for one thing
- I have defined admin_level=7. This is mostly for Gu's within regular
cities. Many cities like Yong-in has both Gu and Dong. Your proposal would
put both the city itself and its lower Gu's on the same admin_level, which
would not be ideal.

Also, I'm considering admin_level=6 for use on the Basic Self-Governing
Entity (BSGE, 기초자치단체), and regular city's Gu doesn't fall under this - only
the metropolitan or special city's Gu does. So it would seem ideal to put
them under admin_level=7, just above Dong's admin_level=8. In addition,
cities within Special Self-Governing Province (Jeju) are not considered a
BSGE either, so they would be put under admin_level=7, too.

As for the "place" tag, I've implied the usage in the Wiki article, but
upon reading your suggestion, I'm abandoning the attempt to do a 1:1
equivalency between admin_level and place tags. Here's my revised
suggestion:

state = Do
county = Gun
city = Si
town = Gu
village = Dong, Eup, Myeon
hamlet = Tong, Ri

According to the Korean law, an area could earn city (Si) status when
population reaches 50,000. So OSM Wiki's suggestion of 100,000+ seems to
fit more or less.

I was initially thinking about using "suburb" in the hierarchy, but the
Wiki only defines it as a distinct section of a city or a town and present
no clear placement. So I decided to leave that out, use town for Gu, and
push the other smaller district down one level.

As for district node / district boundary thing, here's what I've observed
in the map rendering. If there's a closed district boundary, but no
district node set as admin_centre, the region does not get labeled, at
least as far as large regions are concerned. North Korea's Kangwon Province
doesn't have an admin_centre node, but South Korea's Gangwon Province does,
and only the South Korean one has that blue label on the zoomed out map.

So I'm going to put an admin_centre node inside any district boundary that
I create, just to be sure.

To summarize my suggestions / observations:

admin_level: add level 7 for Gu and non-BSGE Si
place: use town for Gu and push others down one level
district node in a district boundary: might be needed for label rendering

Wesley Hwang-Chung
Tool-Box.info