[Talk-nz] Dual names (Was: Place names (OSM wiki entry))

Andrew Davidson theswavu at gmail.com
Sat Nov 20 10:10:34 UTC 2021

On 20/11/21 20:37, Eliot Blennerhassett wrote:

> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:name#Multiple_names says
>
> "In multilingual regions or localities, multiple names in different
> languages may be relevant enough to include in name=*. A separator other
> than a semicolon, such as "/" or "-", may be customary locally."
>
> So, the name may contain parts in different languages separated by a /

That's not the situation we are talking about here. That's talking about
joining two name together if there are two dominate languages.

What you have in NZ (and what we have in AU) are things that are given a
a *single name* comprising *two parts*. See
https://www.linz.govt.nz/regulatory/place-names/about-new-zealand-geographic-board/frameworks-new-zealand-geographic-board-ng%C4%81-pou-taunaha-o-aotearoa

The lake is called Lake Ellesmere / Te Waihora. If I was referring to
this lake in a document in English I would write Lake Ellesmere / Te
Waihora not Lake Ellesmere. That means that name:en = Lake Ellesmere /
Te Waihora.