[talk-ph] Star Tollway Updates

maning sambale emmanuel.sambale at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 07:08:34 GMT 2008

On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 2:57 PM, Jim Morgan <jim at datalude.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Having just done my first few trips with a new GPS, I uploaded a couple of tracks and was trying to figure out how to incorporate them into OSM, but Manning beat me to it!

Sorry ;).  Had to create some ways as a break from work.  For the
information of the group, Jim (username:plutocrat) is one of the first
mappers who have edited a lot of Metro Manila roads in the past.

> My problem was that the route was for the most part duplicated, but there were one or two bits which I needed to incorporate into the map. I was looking around in Potlach, but it seems that JOSM is probably the best tool for the job. Does that sound right? Any advice on the procedure, or pointers to HowTos would be appreciated.

Potlatch howto for gps traces:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Potlatch/Primer#Working_with_GPS_tracks

By experience, potlatch is slow at low zoom levels because a lot of
data is fetched in the server.
> Here's my setup for anyone who's interested.
>
> Navman B10 cheapie GPS receiver, linked to
>  - My Sony Ericsson K530i phone running Trail Explorer or
>  - My Dell laptop running Ubuntu Linux with Tango GPS
This is cool! Any pix?  I haven't tried mobile navigation with a
laptop (can't use it on a bike) or a mobile phone (don't own one).

> Just love Tango GPS. I took a drive with it the other day, having pre-downloaded the relevant sections of Manila OSM, and it worked a treat. If anyone needs any help setting this up on Ubuntu, do let me know. I'm a bit of a Linux geek.

Yeah. TangoGPS looks great, on my dream linux phone.
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Image:Tangogps.jpg