[talk-ph] GPS logger/receiver on Linux

Ronny Ager-Wick - Develo Ltd. raw at develo.ltd.uk
Wed Aug 19 03:16:52 BST 2009

Yep, TangoGPS is good stuff! I got the stable version from their
website. Tried it this morning on a short walk. Seems to be a bit
affected by the urban canyon effect here in Central London, but as soon
as I got away from tall buildings it was working very well.

I am trying to get mtkbabel (http://sourceforge.net/projects/mtkbabel/)
to download tracks from it but so far I have not been able to. gpsd
works fine, connection via bluetooth is automatic and I can telnet to
localhost:2947 to get the raw data from the unit (more than one line per
second starting with $). All of that works wonderfully.
I'm sure there's something I'm missing when it comes do downloading
tracks though. I don't even know at this stage *how* one should connect
to it to get the tracks - serial connection like the live navigation
feed, file system (in which case, which type), etc. I'm pretty sure it's
possible though, as when I did my original research I read about someone
that said it works.
I'm checking out bt747 (http://sourceforge.net/projects/bt747/) as I
write this, so we'll see how that goes.

I got josm working fine, but I'm a bit unfomfortable with it yet. I'd
love to get Merkaartor (is it just me or is this name meant to resemble
MacArthur?) to work, but it keeps refusing to download the OSM maps.
Actually, I'll make a separate post for that.

When I'm done with this, I'll write a guide for other users that are
looking to set up something similar.

Ronny.