[talk-ph] OpenStreetMap Philippines Inc. Formation

Andre Marcelo-Tanner andre at enthropia.com
Tue May 19 10:23:19 BST 2009

Well I'll do my best to answer that, though in the end such would be up
to the board members and officers of the formal org once formed and thus
would likely also consult with the community on it.

For members, I see it as a formality also of being registered with the
local organization, OSM is an open system so anyone can register and
edit the map but membership could be like for people who want to be more
part of the work going on here in the Philippines.
Benefits can be:
- Invitation, participation in local press/media events
- Official membership with ID
- The ability to represent OSM Philippines officially wherever you go.
- Be on the receiving end of donations or items that the org purchases
to further its mapping capabilities. Like receive a GPS unit or stipend
from the Org if you are going on a mapping trip for example.
- Have a say in all things regarding the org, like a vote or something
in important decisions.
Ofcourse with benefits will probably come responsibilities like:
- Participating in events or meetings which OSM is conducting
- performing specific mapping tasks which need doing
- not abusing the priviledges given to you by membership
- regular activity in mapping.

and maybe there could be just a registered type of member with little
responsibilities and less priviledges and a more active type of member
registration which has more stuff. Anyway these are all just thoughts of
what could be done with membership.
Why have membership? Well since it would be a formal org, you want some
kind of organization within it rather than not have any. Even a little
organizing is good.
Anyone want to add to my list :)