[talk-ph] need help on mapping for ondoy/Kestana flood victims in Metro Manila

maning sambale emmanuel.sambale at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 04:44:36 BST 2009

Hi,

In case people in the international community didn't know, the
Philippines (capital and surrounding provinces) were badly hit by
tropical cylcone ondoy/kestana the past week [1].

My family was affected as well, but we are OK now.

Current efforts are now towards search, rescue and relief.  As a
mapping community I feel we need to do something and contribute.  We
need to document whatever information we can compile so that
volunteers, relief workers, and government agencies can respond to the
needs.

The recovery efforts may take a few more weeks and we need to sustain
activities to restore vital public utilities to affected areas.  Some
members of the OSM-PH has started creating webmap based on OSM to
document what is currently happening on the ground [2].

I appeal to the whole OSM community to help us in this project.  What
we currently need are:
1. A temporary server space we can use.

2. Create mashups on related information about the disaster (osm data
for Metro Manila and adjacent provinces is good enough as a map
background), news feeds, location of evacuation sites, missing persons
list.

3. An interface in which users can report what is happening on the
ground, (I'm thinking of an openstreetbug interface)
  i.e. This street in unpassable due to floods. This street needs
water.  This street has no electricity.  Too much garbage on this
street please collect now.
  This way communities can report problems and hopefully close "bugs".

I lack the technical skills to do this but I am willing to coordinate
efforts in some areas and collect field data around my mapping area.
Please help us do this project.  The hope is the information we gather
and synthesize would be helpful.
We do not need anything sophisticated at the moment we just need
something running ASAP.

Thanks in advance.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Typhoon_Ketsana_%282009%29
[2] http://www.umapper.com/maps/view/id/42152