[talk-ph] Navteq/Nokia finally shows their mapping data for the Philippines

Ronny Ager-Wick - Develo Ltd. raw at develo.ltd.uk
Mon Feb 8 07:10:51 GMT 2010

Ray wrote:
> Ronny Ager-Wick - Develo Ltd. schrieb:
>
>> I think the best way to detect theft of data is an old and proven one,
>> making certain (privately documented) mistakes on purpose, so you can
>> check if the map in question includes it. As most of you well know, it's
>> not possible to copyright reality, but fiction (erroneous data is
>> fiction) is copyrightable.
>> However, I'm not sure what's the consensus for introducing errors on
>> purpose?
>>

> We are creating a map of reality, not one of errors. If someone notice
> your error he will hopefully correct it and you have no pointer anymore.
>
> Keep in mind, that open also means that anybody can use the data as he
> likes, even sell it. He only has to mention the creator (openstreetmap
> is enough) and the license (CC-by-SA).

Ray,
yes, anyone can actually sell it, but the "SA" part fo the license means:
*Share Alike* --- If you alter, transform, or build upon this work, you
may distribute the resulting work only under the same, similar or a
compatible license.
In other words, you have to redistribute it under the same terms, which
again allows anyone you sold it can redistribute and sell it too, so the
commercial value of a modified version is minimal. My interpretation is
that if some company who sells maps are using OSM data, then modify it,
these modifications or additions need to be available undert the same
license, so that it can be imported back into OSM. This is why I find it
useful to know whether someone are using OSM or not.

I agree, it's more than slightly awkward to introduce errors on purpose.
Maybe we should stick to "peculiarities". I know I've added minor roads
that probably never would be added to commercial maps, but they are
still roads, and they reflect reality. I can easily use these to spot
derivative work.
I know intentional errors this has been used my mapmakers for a long
time as a way to spot derivative work.
I talked to someone a whole ago who made a traffic camera map. They
introduced a few errors on purpose (added non-existent cameras to the
map), caught Microsoft stealing their data and decided to cvhallenge
them on that. Needless to say the company spent the remainder of its
life in court, so the exercise wasn't particularly useful.

In our case, if someone used OSM to produce a paper map, but added lots
of new roads, I believe this gives us the right to buy one copy and then
trace it. Similarly if they distributed it electronically, if we legally
got hold of a copy of their modified OSM map, we could probably import
it to OSM? What do the legal department say about this?

Ronny.