[talk-ph] City Database

Jing Iya jing_iya at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 28 01:05:03 GMT 2010

Hi All,

I read this last night - http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_tags_for_routing#City

Looks like the quickest solution is to use the GADM country database, however we are constrained to do so because:

"This dataset is freely available for academic and other non-commercial
use. Redistribution, or commercial use, is not allowed without prior
permission."

I do not know what is their interpretation of the OSM effort, but I am sure OSM is non-commercial, however, once we load the GADM database into OSM, we are technically redistributing it. But then it says "without prior permission".

I think Maning can ask permission from GADM?

Have anyone heard of any information if another country is using the GADM database on OSM?

Have a nice day guys!

Jing