[talk-ph] mangroves, tidal lands

Ed Garcia eppgarcia at gmail.com
Fri Jul 9 04:15:19 BST 2010

Can I have your opinion on this, guys?  it is about coastal mangrove areas.
It is suggested, and I agree, to map mangrove areas as inland (inside the
coastline).  But I encountered the mangrove areas at Alburquerque, Bohol and
the mangroves (seen on wms Lansat) are currently lying on the ocean side.
The current coastline is along the actual edge of what is definitely the
actual land.  I have personally seen the coast myself when I was in the
Albuquerque area.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=9.6127&lon=123.954&zoom=14&layers=B000FTF

Question:  *Shall I move the coastline seaward so that the mangroves would
apear inland?*  This would in a way state that mangroves (or tidelands) are
land and thereby also state that coastlines for tidal lands and flats are to
be drawn using the exposed areas during the lowest low tide (not just the
mean tide as this will "cut" some mangrove areas in half).  Classic case for
tidal flats are in Calatagan, where the low tide exposes an additional 150+m
of "land".

Also, the above considers that some islands become "land" only on low tides.

--
website administrator:
- www.waypoints.ph

PADI Divemaster #491048