[talk-ph] request for testing 10m contour for garmin (was Re: Groundtruth.)

Rally de Leon ralleon at gmail.com
Fri Jul 30 07:18:20 BST 2010

Groundtruth (contour) runs on my mapsource. I initially loaded 6 tiles
(from east to west -- Quezon sierra madre, Rizal to Batangas, NCR to
Bataan) on my 76CSx, together with the latest osmph_garmin. They show
on top of each other (transparent). Didn't crash on my garmin.

However, with the low-res screen of 76CSx (Details set to Normal), the
contours on the mountain portion is only usable (readable) at
zoomscale 2km & below. At 3km above, the 100m contour lines tends to
clutter the mountainous portion of the map (fortunately there aren't
many roads & POI's there).

Redraw speed was ok. I didn't notice any problem (on normal
street-level zoom), but I'm doing only around 30kmh, coz i'm also
collecting tracks at that time. But on 'over zoom mode' (12-20meters
scale), redraw speed slows down a bit, but still acceptable (while
driving); Although this will not be an issue at walking-pace of
mountain-hiking gps users. I don't know what will happen if I load the
entire groundtruth map (around 180mb) together with osmphgarmin map.
let's see later if my unit will crash :-)

Accuracy Test:
76CSx with External Antenna on top of car (roughly 1-1/2 meter above ground)
GPS signal availability & strength was very good (EPE alternating
between 2 to 4 meters)
On initial test on Antipolo Hills this morning (an area above
120meters elevation), I parked my car exactly on top of a few
10m-contour lines that I crossed along the road, and compared their
Elevations with the readings of Barometric Sensor Elevation of 76CSx.
Not bad !!! (there's only 3-5 meters difference, sometimes exactly the
same like on the 10meter contour lines).

Well, considering other factors like height/location of antenna on top
of my car & low EPE of gps, initial test says we can possibly navigate
in zero-visibility mountain area (using STRM 10meter contour data)
with lesser chance of falling of a cliff.

I wish other people can test this (STRM data) map on other higher
areas to verify my findings (if high-accuracy is same on other
places).