[talk-ph] maps for mountaineers/ outdoor lovers

Leonard Soriano banito_pinoy at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 17 05:19:12 GMT 2011

Maning,

--- On Thu, 17/2/11, maning sambale <emmanuel.sambale at gmail.com> wrote:

> From: maning sambale <emmanuel.sambale at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [talk-ph] maps for mountaineers/ outdoor lovers
> To: "Leonard Soriano" <banito_pinoy at yahoo.com>
> Cc: "Eugene Alvin Villar" <seav80 at gmail.com>, "rem zamora" <pompyang at gmail.com>, talk-ph at openstreetmap.org
> Bunny,
>
> We have a few mountain trails already added in OSM.
> Most mountain
> peaks are also there (coming from GNS so this needs
> correction).
> Using the default map and contour, I believe this is useful
> already
> for mountaineers.
>
> What we need from the mountaineers are:
>  - more trail/hiking data along with the trail classes
> (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:sac_scale)
>  - location of peaks/viewpoints/trail stops and other
> amenities
>
> I don't know if UPM or other mountaineering groups are
> aware of our
> project or the osmph garmin maps.  We can of course
> design a garmin
> map for them, all we need are inputs on how they classify
> trails.
> Perhaps we can have a session with these group to share how
> contribute in osm and then compile their own maps?

I think given the accessibility of GPS units now compared before, a lot of people in the outdoor community are aware of this technology. We need to find a way to inform the existence of OSM garmin maps and how the outdoor community can contribute. Through e-groups is already an easy way for this.

Good idea of having a GPS/trail mapping/workshop/skill share or whatever we call it. I think we could talk to ROX about this. There is a regular discussion of outdoor topics such as first aid, trail running, kayaking, etc that they organize in their store. I think proposing a skill share on GPS for outdoor people and mountaineering groups in collaboration with ROX fits in well.

--bunny