[talk-ph] Provincial relations ( no not your far away relatives :-) )

Eugene Alvin Villar seav80 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 27 15:14:13 BST 2011

Hi Ian,

Well, I've been monitoring your edits and have fixed most of the
errors though not the omissions. :-)

Some notable errors that I fixed:
1. Batanes is not part of Cagayan. I've removed Batanes from the
Cagayan relation but I didn't create the Batanes relation.
2. Siquijor is not part of Cebu. I've removed Siquijor from the Cebu
relation and marked the coastline of Siquijor as its own boundary
since there are no other visible islands of Siquijor (I think) such
that a relation is needed.
3. Mapun (Cagayan de Tawi-Tawi) is not part of Palawan. I've removed
the municipality's islands from the Palawan relation. They (and the
Turtle Islands) have yet to be included in the Tawi-Tawi relation.
4. When you moved the QC-Rizal boundary to Marikina River (which I'm
not sure is really correct), you created a duplicate river centerline.
I've fixed that, though research is needed to correctly determine if
the boundary is indeed on the Marikina River.
5. Davao City is not part of Davao del Sur (though they're often
grouped together).
6. Zamboanga City is not part of Zamboanga Sibugay.

One major error that is yet to be fixed is that Dinagat Islands is no
longer a province since the law that created it was struck down by the
Supreme Court as unconstitutional. So the islands revert back to
Surigao del Norte.

Regarding #5 and #6 above, I think that highly-urbanized cities (like
Baguio) and independent cities (like Cotabato) should be considered
outside the province admin boundary relations since these cities are
completely independent of any province administratively. But until we
have accurate city/municipal boundaries, I guess the current situation
can exist. Davao City and Zamboanga City (aside from Metro Manila
cities) are the current exceptions since they already have available
boundaries.

As for the Cavite boundaries, they're very crude especially in the
southwestern half, but I guess they can be improved in the future.

BTW, it seems that some of your admin relation edits is just
rearrangement of the ways so that they're in order? While this is
nice, it's not necessary since all the renderers that I know of can
handle out-of-order ways.

On your PS: I think you're also signed up using another address:
haylockid at gmail.com?

Eugene