[talk-ph] SOTM 2012 feedback

Eugene Alvin Villar seav80 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 15 01:49:35 BST 2012

Hello Mike,

Your proposal is actually interesting.

However, I am not actually aware of anyone in the OSMPH community who
is experienced enough with running and maintaining a server here in
the Philippines. The usual strategy I know is that people buy hosting
services from data centers in located the United States.

Also, I am not familiar with the state of the Internet backbone in the
Philippines (PHNET). I'm not 100% sure but I've read of stories where
if you want to access a local server in the Philippines, you might
sometimes get routed first to the United States depending on which
Internet Service Provider you are currently on so having a local
server might not actually help with any netowrk latency issues that
OSM France's solution hopes to solve.

Maybe the people from Enthropia Philippines (who is generously
sponsoring the openstreetmap.org.ph website) can provide some input?

Regards,
Eugene