[talk-ph] DPWH 2012 Road Data

maning sambale emmanuel.sambale at gmail.com
Wed Jun 12 04:03:44 UTC 2013

Dear Rally,

On Jun 12, 2013 10:02 AM, "Rally de Leon" <ralleon at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 9:43 AM
> Maning,
> it's obviously OSM basemap under the Baguio jpg right? in fact get a
copies as proof in the future. How does copyright works? Enlighten us. I
understand if they add new info on top of that OSM map, then they're
obligated to share the new info back to OSM? I guess the dpwh's copyright
restriction was just a copy&paste thing.

I'm not sure I can give you a straightforward answer since I am confused
myself sometimes. :)

There is a concept of derived database and produced work in odbl. Depending
on how you use osm data and distribute the output, it may fall on either of
the above category.

In fact, the default map tile is not odbl but cc-by-sa.

The wiki has sample use cases.

> I say let DPWH use it more on their projects silently, so that we'll have
more proof..., and then it's easier to officially negotiate for sharing of
government data in the future (give & take arrangements). :-)

I think government use of osm is what most of us want. I'm actually curious
why they use osm over other webmap service.
Is it easier to use? Nice cartography? Better data?

How can we help them even further beyond using osm as a background layer?