[talk-ph] Tagging bridges and tunnels

Pierre Béland pierzenh at yahoo.fr
Thu Feb 19 01:24:46 UTC 2015

Hi Eugene
I understand that in the context of Philippines islands, bridges are quite important.

Your pictures clearly show that the sign at the beginning of the bridge refer to the bridge name and not the road name. We generally say that we tag first from the information observed in the field. But I understand that you might adopt different systems for Philippines. It is up to your community to decide.

This Overpass query provides the way objects with a bridge tag.  To have a smaller file, I did not request for the nodes.http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/7K1

The query gave me 4,091 bridges with the tag name and none with ref. While we see the road name associated with some bridge (for example Southern Tagalog), this is not the case for the majority of the bridges. And this would not respect what the sign show at the beginning of the bridge.
Taginfo shows that tags such as bridge:name and bridge_name are used in other countries, but not in Philippines. Note also that the renderer show both name and ref.

Pierre