[talk-ph] Center of Villages and Sub-villages in Maguindanao

Rally de Leon ralleon at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 07:33:18 UTC 2015

I'm used to looking for basketball courts (and covered courts) which serve
as indicator of the center of the community when mapping neighborhoods in
Luzon

In the (link) example below (Maguindanao) there are no basketball courts.

http://goo.gl/CL5niv

I'm just guessing, but maybe it's the masjid/mosque that I should be
looking for. But, the buildings' shapes in the vicinity are all
squares/rectangles (if examined on bing images) which hardly give a clue
that some particular buildings are places of worship. Except for one
noticeable difference: some odd buildings are not aligned with the
surrounding structures. They are generally facing east, yet they don't have
a common/consistent angle of direction.

Is this (observation) a good indicator of masjid? How many percentage (of
masjid and/or regular structure) follow such rule?

Does it make sense to put a node tagged as:
place=neighbourhood
FIXME=name
in the vicinity of those particular structures, by presuming them be the
'centers of the communities/neighborhoods', so they can be properly
identified/named later by local mappers/residents?

-Rally