[talk-ph] areas of mangrove

Eugene Alvin Villar seav80 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 30 23:06:52 UTC 2016

Hi David,

Mangroves and wetlands have been discussed here in 2009 and 2010 but no
definite convention or guidelines was agreed upon. Please see the following
two threads for the previous discussions:

https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-ph/2009-April/000695.html
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-ph/2010-July/002398.html

Based on agreed practice in OSM, the natural=coastline is defined to be the
high water line. So mangrove areas would be normally at the seaward side of
OSM's coastlines. But I think the answer is between your approach 1 and 2.
Mangroves can actually extend to the land-side of the coastline as the
ground there would still be saturated with sea water even if the ground is
not submerged at high tide. The problem is, the high-water line will rarely
be visible on satellite imagery. So I think we just map using approach 2
when doing remote/armchair mapping and then hope that these can be refined
in the future using actual field surveys.

Regards,
Eugene