[Talk-scotland] Edinburgh - Belgrave Terrace/Clermiston Terrace

Eric Grosso eric.grosso.os at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 13:52:45 UTC 2015

Hi Colin,

I don't know Clermiston Road but based on the list of public roads in
Edinburgh provided by the City of Edinburgh Council (
http://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/downloads/download/326/public_roads_in_edinburgh)
and the 1940s OS map (
http://www.mesh.ed.ac.uk/apps/oldmaps/#zoom=18&lon=-3.27986&lat=55.94322&m1=21),
here are some thoughts about it:

- the primary road is Clermiston road -- the house numbers for this road
start from St John's Road (west side),

- both "Belgrave Terrace" and "Clermiston Terrace" are on the east side of
the street so rather than using alt_name (which is normally used to add an
alternative name which is used on both side of a street), I'd use name:left
or name:right (depending on the orientation of the road) -- more
information about it here:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Forward_%26_backward,_left_%26_right and
here: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:name -- So basically the road
needs to be split according to these terraces, (remark: in the past, it
wasn't clear what was the best way to tag a road like this, i.e. no
decision was made between the use of "name_left" and "name:left", now it's
clear that it has to be "name:left". Nominatim will work with it as well
even,

- the CEC online atlas is based on the current Ordnance Survey data/map and
as this information is copyrighted, this altas can't be used to map OSM,

- a physical signpost in the middle of a street indicates a street name
inside another street name (the one indicated by the physical signpost at
the beginning and end of this street) or sometimes you have two signposts
to indicate the two names -- but it depends.

Hope it helps.

Cheers,
Eric