[Talk-transit] [Talk-gb-westmidlands] NAPTAN database

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Fri Feb 20 16:33:33 GMT 2009

On 20 Feb 2009, at 16:19, Thomas Wood wrote:

> 2009/2/20 Andy Robinson (blackadder-lists) <ajrlists at googlemail.com>:
>> Thomas Wood [mailto:grand.edgemaster at gmail.com] wrote:
>>> Sent: 20 February 2009 2:51 PM
>>> To: Shaun McDonald
>>> Cc: Peter Miller; Talk-gb-westmidlands at openstreetmap.org; talk-
>>> transit at openstreetmap.org; Brian Prangle; Andy Robinson
>>> (blackadder-lists)
>>> Subject: Re: [Talk-transit] [Talk-gb-westmidlands] NAPTAN database

>>> my

>>> Very well. Changed the converter, and wiki.
>>
>> Not sure if ref= has universally been used for bus_stops. I know
>> all the
>> ones I've mapped use that. Easy enough to change though.
>>
>> I think it may be correct that the numbers on shelters in my photos
>> are
>> asset numbers, however these stops don't appear to carry any other
>> reference
>> number. All non shelter bus stops in West Mids carry a number in a
>> different
>> format as per link below. Does this number appear in the NaPTAN data?
>>
>> http://ajr.hopto.org/osm/SD530502.JPG
>>
>> If these on-the-ground reference numbers are not in the NaPTAN data
>> then we
>> have quite a bit of work to do to map stops properly.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Andy
>

> Those are the last 7 digits of the unique, nationwide AtcoCode. I've
> not seen them publicly anywhere else.

Those codes are starting to turn up on printed information in
timetable cases in various places together with a brief description on
how to use them. I don't have a photo handy but I have seen them 'in
the field' and Traveline are keen on them and they are spreading. Lets
not loose the information, but possibly we leave it in the
naptan:atcocode field for the time being.

Regards,

Peter