[Talk-transit] maintenance is very time consuming on public transport routes

Arun Ganesh arun.planemad at gmail.com
Sun Dec 1 13:12:16 UTC 2013

The complexity of the current PT schema makes it close to impossible to
creat or maintain this kind of data in India, where bus transport systems
are a lot more complex, unstructured and dynamic.

I have found making bus frequency based renderings to be a lot more useful
here [1], where the only data point required is the relative importance of
a road in the bus route road network.

What I do is pretty simple, consider default bus frequency to be function
of highway classification ( trunk>primary>secondary ), tertiary and below
are ignored. I override the default highway value if there is a
public_transport tag.

So a road with highway=trunk and public_transport=no is a highway with no
bus service.

[1]
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Chennai_Openstreetmap_Public_Transport_Density_Map.png

--