[Talk-transit] Ideas for a simplified public transportation scheme

DC Viennablog emergency99 at outlook.com
Tue May 7 13:09:26 UTC 2019

I think someone in this discussion is confusing the idea of a new scheme with the current one.

As it stands, the highway=bus_stop tag is a legacy tag for a node. If the platform is a node, it can be put on there (for legacy sake, although the p_t:v2 scheme suggests to sunset that tag) but if the platform is not just conceptual (e.g a pole on the roadside) but has dimensions (and hence is mapped as a way/polygon) the tag shall be put on the other thing that is definitely a node: The stop_position on the road.

Because more and more platforms in public transport get built as extra features, and the single pole on the roadside is being slowly abandoned due to security and barrier issues without elevated platforms and so on, I set this, planned to be depricated tag, always onto the stop position, because any other solution, as long as platforms are mixed nodes and ways, would make inconsistencies.

But if we talk about a new scheme, then we could again use one unified tag like that, ideally  one that also encapsulates the mode of transport and also says “this is the waiting area,point / platform”. Like public_transport=bus_stop/tram_stop/train_stop (with railway=stop, statiom or halt becoming optional?)
Only problem: what if a bus and a tram stop at the same platform? Just a general tag public_transport=stop?

Or would that clutter the tagging to much?

KR
RobinD (emergency99)