[Talk-us] Mapping HOAs

Tue Aug 4 18:46:13 BST 2009

At 2009-08-04 10:08, Jason R. Surratt wrote:
>Lastly, the definition of where a neighborhood starts and ends can be
>vague at best and disputed depending on who you ask. Again, should I wing
>it, or just simplify the problem significantly and place a node instead of
>a polygon?

Often, neighborhoods are defined by people based on when and by whom they
were built, usually in the case where a large rural area is purchased and
sub-divided. You can often see these logical boundaries in the satellite
imagery from the size and style of housing, so I'd draw a polygon in those
cases. If it's just a rough approximation (like "South Central LA") I'd
just use a node, though in my example (a fairly large area), I'm not sure
what purpose that serves.

Like you, I didn't find any clear guidance on the subject - just
suggestions by different authors.

I live in an area with lots of named developments of houses, apartments,
condos, and mobile-homes. When it comes to HOAs that are clearly formed for
a specific house/condo/apartment development, I've been using relations as
follows:

- Draw the boundary that encompasses all the member residences and land
(often easy to see as they are surrounded by fences or walls). Tag it
landuse=residential, name=NameOfHOAOrDevelopment. If all the residences
share the same postal address, tag that address here. Otherwise, if the
HOA/leasing/rental office is on-site, tag that address/phone/fax/url here.
- If surrounded by electric gates, tag the roads within as access=private.
- If the roads are named, tag as highway=residential, otherwise highway=service
- Mark common pools as amenity=swimming_pool, jacuzzi as amenity=whirlpool,
clubhouse as building=clubhouse, gym as building=gym, leasing/rental office
as building=office, laundry as building=laundry.
- Add all of the above, and any address markers or other common features to
a relation. Tag the relation as type=site, site=housing,
housing_type={apartment|condominium|mobile_home|house},
name=NameOfHOAOrDevelopment. Roles:

boundary        landuse polygon
access          roads that lead in and out of the HOA
pool            As needed
office          "
clubhouse       "
gym             "
laundry "

Some examples can be found around here:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=34.1299&lon=-117.5884&zoom=15&layers=B000FTF

Just my strategy - discussion/criticism/other examples welcome. I love how
easy it is to change things en-masse in OSM!