[Talk-us] dead line for joining & voting in current board election

Serge Wroclawski emacsen at gmail.com
Thu Aug 26 15:51:39 BST 2010

On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 11:39 PM, Samat K Jain <lists at samat.org> wrote:
>Not to be negative, but I'm on the fence—other than the OSMF US board election, what other benefits are there to be an OSMF US member?

It's okay to be negative if you want. It's a tough question, so let me
try my best to address it in parts:

First, we're a very new organization; this is our first official
election! The group that's currently on the board has written bylaws,
written articles of incorporation, set up bank accounts and mechanisms
to accept members, and then put on a conference!

> If this has been discussed before it should be on the OpenStreetMap.us site somewhere.

We discussed this at SOTM at one of the last panel talks. Dave's done
an amazing job of getting these videos online, so if we're lucky,
you'll have a chance to see it before the election is over. We have a
lot of plans, and hopes. But basically, right now, joining is a way of
showing support for the US OpenStreetMap community. And once you join,
you can see some of the projects we'd like to do and maybe help them
along!

There are a lot more details, but I think that's the main thing...
your membership goes to trying to build the organization. More
important than your membership dues, though, is actually getting
involved.

- Serge